When it comes to crime statistics, the media tends to overstate the number of crimes that happen in a state at any given time. Bigger, more sensationalized crimes, typically murder or shocking stories, tend to take up vast amounts of news reporting despite being one of the least likely crimes to happen on a day-to-day basis. To break down the true extent of crimes across Oregon, here is a list of the most common crimes that happen statewide:
Property and Non-Violent Crimes
Some of the non-violent and property crimes include:
- Larceny. On average, larceny is the most committed crime across the state of Oregon, making up nearly three-quarters of all crimes committed statewide.
- Burglary. As of 2021, burglaries made up around 13% of all property crimes committed in Oregon, giving Oregon the 21st highest rate of all states for burglary rates.
- Vehicle theft. The percentage of burglaries and instances of vehicle theft in Oregon are similar, with both having a similar average of incidents per 100,000 residents.
Violent crimes include:
- Aggravated assault. Of the total amount of crimes committed statewide, violent crimes like aggravated assault only make up about 9% of Oregon’s total crime reports.
- Robbery. Robbery is both the second most common violent crime committed in Oregon and the second most committed violent crime nationwide.
Seeking a Defense Attorney for Your Case
On the news, bigger, more violent crimes become sensationalized, generating a false assumption about crime statistics statewide. In reality, smaller, less violent crimes like property theft are more common than more serious incidents like aggravated assault. Regardless of how the media perceives these crimes, the only opinion that matters is that of the courtroom. If you are facing any criminal conviction in the state of Oregon, Pedemonte Law can help you compile the necessary defense to keep you from receiving unnecessary charges and harsh punishments. For more information on our services, as well as a full list of our practice areas, visit our website and contact us for a consultation today.